CBD is an amazing and versatile plant medicine and CBD oil uses this powerful plant medicine to bring help to many in a convenient format. Is it increasingly being added to many products now including topicals, skincare, edibles, drinks, wines, pet products, beer and even kombucha. Chances are you will find CBD products at your local supermarket and drug store.
These are popular CBD oil uses for a wide variety of needs
- CBD can be used to relieve pain from wearing high heels. That’s right! A little topical cream or CBD salve rubbed on to the feet 30 minutes before a night on the town combined with 20mg of oral CBD can really prevent sore feet.
- Post workout cramps are soreness can be prevented by taking 20-40mg of oral CBD pre workout. CBD can also act to increase focus and concentration which is especially useful in competition sports. Choose a Broad-Spectrum product which does not contain THC.
- CBD is a great topical for combatting pain and is one of the most common CBD oil uses, but it can also be used to restore and rejuvenate skin.
- CBD can help prevent dementia. CBD has been shown to have neuroprotective and antioxidant effects on the brain. Not only can it assist people with dementia, but it is also believed to help prevent dementia.
- CBD can offer cancer fighting benefits. Research has shown that CBD inhibits the adhesion of cancerous cells to human tissue. This prevents cancer cells from invading and replicating.
- CBD can assist with reducing stress and anxiety, even in pets. A few drops of CBD tincture given to your pet can help alleviate stress during long car rides, trips to the vet and 4th of July fireworks.
- Add a few drops of CBD oil to a bath along with some Epsom salts and bubble bath to take this experience to the next level. The skin is the body’s largest organ. It both absorbs and detoxifies. CBD is an amazing additive to relax the body and detox the skin. Pre dosed bath bombs are also available. Choose one with organic ingredients.
- Add your favorite tincture to a salad or favorite beverage. Just a few drops added to a salad or savory treat can really enhance the culinary experience. Many high-end hotels and bars are adopting the philosophy of mixology with CBD cocktails. Whilst there are no proven data that CBD can reduce a hangover it can certainly enhance the happy hour experience.
- As a lubricant! Yes, CBD can have many beneficial properties when used in the bedroom. It acts to invigorate and stimulate. It can also reduce pain and block nerve receptors and discomfort. Choose a CBD product blended with organic coconut oil.
Tinctures really are one of the most versatile CBD products as they can be used in all of the ways mentioned above. CBD tinctures can double as topicals. CBD tinctures can be used as a face serum provided, they are combined with Organic MCT oil or any other skin friendly carrier oil.
The many benefits of CBD for the body
BRAIN – CBD has been shown to assist in dopamine pathways in the brain. Dopamine is the reward perception neurotransmitter. Our brain emits it when we eat great food or enjoy an experience. It is essential to wellbeing. A lack of these essential neurotransmitters has been linked to anxiety and depression.
While CBD doesn’t directly increase dopamine levels, it acts on the 5-HT1A receptors ensuring dopamine can travel along the pleasure pathways in the brain.
Like Dopamine, Serotonin is another essential neurotransmitter. It is not only present in the brain. It is also found in our bones, blood platelets and our digestive system. This is why CBD can help with gut related problems like IBS.
STOMACH – CBD has been shown to prevent the system of IBS and gut related issues. Not only is CBD anti-inflammatory in nature it is also a powerful stress reliever. The Endocannabinoid System is responsible for regulating many of our body’s functions such as appetite, sleep, sex-drive, hormones and wellbeing.
There is no doubt there is a direct correlation between gut health and brain activity. CBD can help reduce inflammation and promote a healthy gut, as there is an array of cannabinoid receptors located within the digestive tract.
BONES – Several studies have been conducted on CBD and its ability to prevent osteoporosis. The CB1 receptors in the Endocannabinoid System can help regulate bone mass. The cannabinoids in CBD can help to supply these receptors with essential cannabinoids.
Studies have shown that the more these receptors are supplied with essential cannabinoids the more receptor the body will make. This has a two-fold effect allowing for the uptake of even more cannabinoids as the body makes more receptors.
EYES – CBD and THC have demonstrated that they encourage eye health and prevent vision loss in clinical trials.
CBD can assist in reducing pain from diabetic neuropathic pain. One condition that it may not be advantageous for is glaucoma although more research and clinical trials need to be conducted on this area.
HEART – CBD’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidative qualities may help to prevent heart disease and high blood pressure. Clinical trials have shown that CBD can reduce the occurrence of heart disease and may reduce the chances of having a stroke.
CBD has been shown to decrease both blood pressure and heart rate putting less stress on the organs.
INTESTINES – The number of bacteria in our bodies outnumbers our cells by twelve to one. Our bacterial profile is unique. It has a distinct link to numerous functions within the body.
Healthy gut bacteria prevent inflammation, strengths our immune response and can even help enhance our moods. Healthy levels of serotonin, dopamine and gaba are all linked to healthy levels of gut bacteria.
Research has shown that an imbalance in gut bacteria can lead to inflammation, depression, anxiety, obesity and even cancer.
CBD oil uses its’ natural ability to strengthen the production of these neurotransmitters and it can fight to reduce inflammation.
Making your own CBD oil tincture at home
It is possible to make your own CBD tinctures. You will need a clean blender or immersion blender. You will need to purchase either Broad Spectrum CBD Distillate (containing no THC) or Full Spectrum CBD Distillate (containing 0.3% THC). You will also need Organic MCT oil or any other shelf stable oil. You can add flavoring. There are several companies that sell organic edible essential oils (always check they are edible!), or you can make unflavored tinctures. You can increase the mg of CBD per 30ml. This recipe is for 5 bottles of CBD tincture/1,000mg per bottle. Always make sure to get your CBD from a trusted source that lab tests for quality assurance.
- Organic MCT oil – 150ml
- 5 grams CBD Distillate
- Flavoring if required
You will need 5 bottles with droppers. Ensure that you thoroughly clean the bottles and droppers with warm water and dish soap. You can add 10 props of hydrogen peroxide to ensure the bottles are sterilized. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry on a drying rack for at least an hour before using.
Blend the ingredients thoroughly. Immersion blenders can be beneficial as they will gently heat the product making it blend more thoroughly. Blending can take up to 5 minutes so be patient.
Allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes before pouring into your bottles. This mixture will keep for 12 months. Ensure you keep it in a cool dark place out of direct sunlight.
Begin your CBD regimen by taking 12 -15mg of CBD twice daily. Maintain this dosage for 5 days. After this time, you can gradually adjust the dosage upwards by 10-15mg per day until the desired relief from symptoms occurs.
If you are taking CBD as a preventative measure a good dosage to maintain would be 50 – 100mg per day.