The keto diet has definitely earned its place as a lifestyle choice rather than a fad diet. Keto has been around for 15 years now and boasts everything from weight loss to mental clarity. Celebrities often taut the keto miracle diet but we are seeing them mention CBD and keto far more often these days.
So, what exactly is Keto?
It’s a high fat, moderate protein and low carbohydrate diet which turns the body into a fat burning machine. The concept behind keto is that your body uses fat stores to burn as energy instead of carbohydrates which are converted to glucose. The keto diet will prevent sugar crashes, reduce cravings and increase energy and mental clarity.
There is an adjustment period of 3-5 days initially as the body adjusts to the dietary changes.
How can CBD help?
CBD may be keto’s closest ally. CBD fits perfectly with the keto diet as research has shown that CBD is better absorbed while eating a high fat content diet. Research has been conducted on taking CBD on an empty stomach in contrast to taking CBD after consuming a large fat-rich breakfast of eggs and bacon. Those that consumed the latter showed up to a 14 times higher level of CBD in their bloodstream.
It’s important to note that CBD has little to no side effects. Many CBD tinctures are made up of CBD Distillate and either MCT oil or coconut oil making them an ideal way to absorb CBD and a complementary addition to a keto diet.
CBD can curb cravings that many people experience on the keto diet. CBD can be used to deter the body from sugar carvings. CBD has been shown effective in dealing with alcohol withdrawal, smoking cessation and ensuring a better night’s sleep. CBD is also effective in combating anxiety and depression.
Steer away from any CBD products in drink or edible form as there is a good chance, they will contain some form of sugar or carbohydrates. A good alternative is a Keto Friendly Hempstrax Tea which contains 0 carbs and over 100mg of CBD per bag.
We have compiled some very easy to make, keto friendly sweet treats with easy to add CBD ingredients.
Keto Marshmallows with CBD
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp grass fed gelatin or regular unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup Swerve Keto Confectioners Powered Sweetener
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ gram CBD isolate
- Place the warm water, Swerve sweetener and cream of tartar into a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. Whisk until the ingredients are combined and dissolved.
- Continue to cook the sweetened mixture until it comes to a boil.
- While the sweetened mixture is cooking, add the cold water to a mixing bowl, and sprinkle the unflavored gelatin on top. Do not mix it at this point, just let it sit for 10 minutes.
- When the mixture on the stove comes to a boil, continue to boil it for 2-3 minutes, but no less than 2, whisking often.
- Remove the mixture from the heat once it has boiled, and whisk in the vanilla extract. Wait until mixture has cooled (10 minutes) and add ½ gram of CBD isolate.
- Start blending the gelatin mixture on high, and immediately pour the heated mixture into the mixing bowl with it.
- Continue to beat the mixture on high for roughly 12-15 minutes, or until it has become fluffy and has peaks that hold their shape well on their own.
- Immediately transfer the mixture into a parchment lined 9×9 baking dish, and smooth it into an even layer.
- Allow the mixture to sit untouched on the counter at room temperature overnight. Do not disturb it, and do not refrigerate it.
- Cut the finished marshmallows into pieces and serve any way that you would like or eat as a snack between meals.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 9 | 30mg CBD | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 10mg | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 1mg
Net Carbs: 0 g | % Carbs: 0 % | % Protein: 47.1 % | % Fat: 52.9 % | SmartPoints: 0
1 step, no Churn Keto Friendly CBD Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Swerve Keto Confectioners Powered Sweetener
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 pinch salt
- Add 1 full dropper of CBD 3,000mg Broad or Full Spectrum Tincture
Combine all ingredients in a pint sized jar. Blend mixture with an immersion blender in an up and down motion until soft peaks have formed – 2-3 minutes. Cover jar and place in the freezer for 3-4 hours, stirring every 30-45 minutes.
Uncover and enjoy.
Nutritional Information: 291 calories; 33mg CBD; protein 1.6g; carbs 3.2 grams; fat 29 g; cholesterol 108mg; sodium 91mg
Keto Pumpkin CBD Cheesecake Bars
- Cooking Spray
- 1 x 8oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup of sweetener such as Splenda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add 3 full droppers of CBD 3,000mg Broad or Full Spectrum Tincture
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 inch glass dish with cooking spray.
- Place cream cheese in a mixer and beat until smooth – 3 minutes. Add all ingredients and beat until a smooth batter forms
- Add to greased dish. Bake in the center of the oven for 40 minutes or until the center is no longer wobbly. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Can be cut into individual sized pieces and frozen.
- Refrigerate once it has cooled to room temperature. Lasts 5 days in the fridge.
Makes 16 bars
Per Serving: 83 calories; 18mg CBD per piece; protein 4g; carbs 3g; fat 6.5g; cholesterol 73.5mg; sodium 126mg
Easy Quick-Fix Chocolate CBD Mousse
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Swerve sugar alternative
- 2 tblsp cocoa powder unsweetened
- Pinch salt
- 1/8 gram CBD isolate
1.Place cream cheese in a mixer and beat until smooth – 3 minutes. Turn mixer to low speed and slowly add the remaining ingredients. Mix well until well incorporated. Turn mixed on high and whip until light and fluffy – 2-3 minutes more. Enjoy immediately or chill for 30 minutes. Keeps for 4-5 days in the fridge.
Servings: 2 (double or triple recipe if making for more people)
Nutritional Information: 373 calories; 75mg CBD; protein 5.4g; carbs 6.9g; fat 37g; cholesterol 128mg; sodium 227.2mg